The Association shall be known as “The CSSC Cotswold Area Association” (hereinafter referred to as the Area Association, or the Cotswold Area Civil Service Sports Association (CACSSA) or the Registered Club). The Association shall be affiliated to the Civil Service Sports Council Ltd (CSSC). The Headquarters shall be at the premises known as the Cotswold Area CSSC Club located at Tewkesbury Road, Uckington, Cheltenham.
(a) To carry out the policy of the CSSC.
(b) To encourage and co-ordinate the pursuit of all forms of sport and recreation among CSSC members and to assist in the promotion of local representative competitions.
(c) To provide suitable facilities for sport, recreation and leisure activities.
(d) To manage and maintain grounds and premises on behalf of the CSSC under such terms and conditions as the CSSC shall stipulate.
(e) To generate funds to maintain and improve the structure of the grounds and premises provided, which is to benefit the club members.
(f) To use all profits and surpluses to fulfil these objectives.
(a) Ordinary Members
Membership of the Cotswold Area Civil Service Sports Association is open to all members of CSSC.
(b) Honorary Members
(i) Members of visiting teams, Club officials, supporters and match officials, including persons providing emergency support, attending the facilities of the Area Association shall be deemed Honorary Members for the day(s) of their visit.
(ii) Visiting shareholders of the CSSC.
(a) Management Committee
- The Area Association shall be governed by a Management Committee consisting of Chair, Secretary and Treasurer, and various members including Vice Chair (Club), Vice Chair (membership), Club Manager and Communications and Social Media Secretary.
- The Management Committee shall:
- Manage all grounds and premises leased, purchased or otherwise provided by or through it.
- Nominate a representative to the Regional Association of the CSSC.
- Nominate a representative to the National Council of the CSSC (Annual Conference).
- The Management Committee may appoint sub-Committees from its members and from Ordinary Members of the Area Association for the purpose of carrying out specific functions of the Area Association.
- As and when directed by CSSC Head Office, the Management Committee shall allow supervision and inspection of all aspects of the Area Association by the Regional Sports and Leisure Executive, Officers of the appropriate Regional Council and officials acting on the instructions of the Officers or Management Committee of the CSSC Ltd.
- The General Secretary of the CSSC or nominee and the CSSC SLE for the Region shall be ex-officio members of the Management Committee
- The Management Committee will be responsible for the employment, dismissal and conditions of service of all staff within the grounds and the Registered Club.
- The Management Committee may co-opt members to fill vacancies arising during its term of office.
- The Management Committee has the power to co-opt members in an advisory capacity. Members so co-opted shall not have the power to
- The Management Committee may appoint sub-committees as is considered necessary to conduct special business of the Association.
(b) Executive Committee
The Executive Committee shall comprise:
- Members of the Management Committee.
- A Representative from each affiliated sports or social section that has had its affiliation confirmed at the AGM.
- Members are elected with specific responsibilities.
The Executive Committee shall:
- Represent the interests of the affiliated sports and social sections.
- The Executive Committee shall have the power to raise issues to the Management Committee for consideration, action or feedback. This can be done via the Chair, Secretary or Club Manager.
- The Management Committee can task the Executive Committee to work on projects on behalf of the Management Committee.
- Keep the Management Committee appraised of any issues affecting, and achievements of, the affiliated sports and social sections.
- Ensure affiliated sports and social sections maintain an up-to-date list of their members and submit the list, on request, to the Membership Secretary
If a Representative of an affiliated section does not attend three consecutive meetings without good reason, a reduction in their annual rebate may be applied at the discretion of the Management Committee.
(a) Management Committee
The Management Committee shall meet at least 6 times per year and at least once between meetings of the Executive Committee; minutes of Management Committee meetings shall be sent to members of the Executive Committee.
(b) Executive Committee
The Executive Committee shall meet not less frequently than three times per year.
(c) Sub-Committees of the Management Committee
Each sub-Committee shall meet at least once before each meeting of the Management Committee and present a report to each meeting of the Management Committee. The appointed Secretary of the sub-Committee shall convene the meeting.
(d) Annual General Meeting
(i) The Annual General Meeting of the Area Association shall be held before the end of June each year, the date and time to be decided by the Management Committee and agreed by the Executive Committee. Twenty one days notice of the date of the AGM shall have been given to its members.
(ii) The purpose of the meeting shall be to:
(1) Receive the Chairman’s Report and Financial Statement which shall include the Report and Accounts of any ground or premises within the Area and the Auditor’s report.
(2) Elect the Officers and Members of the Management Committee. (Election details follow in Rule 7.)
(3) Appoint professional Financial Examiner.
(iii) Items for the agenda shall be submitted in writing to the Secretary not less than fourteen days before the Annual General Meeting.
(e) Special General Meetings
(i) A Special General Meeting of the Executive Committee may be called at the discretion of the Chair and shall in any event be called upon receipt of a written request from not less than ten (10) members of the Executive Committee. A Special Meeting may be called within fourteen days, not less than seven days notice being given to members of the Executive Committee.
(ii) A Special General Meeting of the Area Association may be called by the Officers of the Association or on the written request of twenty (20) Ordinary members of the Association stating the business to be transacted. Notice of a Special General Meeting shall be given at least fourteen days beforehand.
(iii) A Special Meeting of the Management Committee may be called at the discretion of the Chair with not less than seven days notice given to its members.
(iv) No business other than that for which a Special General Meeting has been called may be transacted.
At all meetings a vote may be taken by a show of hands and, except where specified otherwise, e.g. conduct or rule change, a simple majority will be sufficient. In the event of a tie, the Chair of the meeting shall have a second (casting) vote.
(a) The quorum of the Management Committee shall be two officers, from Chair, Treasurer and Secretary, and two members.
(b) The quorum of the Executive Committee shall be two officers, from Chair, Treasurer and Secretary, and five of the members.
(c) The quorum at an Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting shall be fifteen Ordinary members.
(a) The President shall be appointed by the Executive Committee.
(b) The Officers and Members of the Management Committee of the Association will be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting of the Association. Every post shall be vacated at each Annual General Meeting but retiring Officers and Members shall be eligible for re-election.
The members of each Management sub- Committee shall be appointed at the first meeting of the Management Committee following the Annual General Meeting of the Association.
(a) Any activity section shall be eligible for affiliation to the Area Association provided that its rules are approved by the Management Committee.
(b) The Executive Committee shall have the power to allow and revoke any affiliation.
(c) Each affiliated section or organisation shall pay to the Area Association an annual affiliation fee as shall be determined by the Management Committee.
(d) Amendments to the rules of the affiliated section or organisation shall be subject to the approval of the Executive Committee.
(e) All affiliated sections or organisations are required to submit a list of members, a copy of their AGM Minutes and Financial Statement to the Management Committee annually.
Individual subscriptions additional to that paid to the CSSC or Area Association may be charged by affiliated sections or organisations.
(b) Hire of Facilities
Sports and social facilities may be hired out for sole use to:
- Members of the Area Association.
- Members of CSSC Sports & Leisure.
- Organisations affiliated to the Area Association.
- Regional Councils, Sports and Leisure Bodies and Departmental Associations affiliated to CSSC Sports and Leisure and
- Other organisations only with specific approval by the Management Committee.
(c) Sale & Supply of Alcoholic Liquor
(i) Alcoholic liquor may be supplied or sold by or on behalf of the club on the club premises to members, guests signed in under Rule 9(e), visiting sports teams, outside organisations hiring the facilities and visiting CSSC members at such times as the Management Committee may determine within the permitted hours laid down by the Licensing Authority, provided that those hours may be extended on any special occasion if sanctioned by the Licensing Authority.
(ii) Subject to the above provisions no alcoholic liquor shall be supplied to any person other than members of the Club or their guests.
(iii) Members and guests can be refused alcohol at the discretion of CACSSA bar staff.
(iv) No members or guests under the age of 18 will be supplied with or consume alcoholic liquor on the Club premises.
(v) The Club’s business shall be conducted in accordance with the provisions of the Licensing Acts and under the auspices and policies of the CSSC.
(vi) No excisable liquor shall be sold or supplied in the club premises for consumption off the premises except to a member of the Club in person for consumption by them or to a person holding an excisable license for sale of such liquor.
(d) Trading Hours
(i) The supply or sale of alcoholic liquor to members of the Club shall be permitted within the hours set by the Management Committee which shall be within those hours specified by the Licensing Authority, provided that these hours may be extended on any special occasion if sanctioned by the said authority.
(ii) The hours of opening and closing may be altered, varied, extended or curtailed at the discretion of the Club Manager or the Management Committee on any occasion or occasions.
(iii) The club or parts thereof may be closed on any day decided by the Club Manager or the Management Committee, but 7 days notice must be given and the same posted on the club notice board.
Members may introduce guests to the Registered Club but must ensure they observe all club rules.
(i) Members may be required to pay an entrance contribution for each guest introduced at a rate, and on those occasions, decided by the Management Committee.
(ii) The Club Manager or Bar Manager shall reserve the right to refuse admission to any guest and may, from time to time, limit the number of guests admitted either in total or per member.
(f) Personal Property
The Management Committee accepts no responsibility for members’ or guests’ personal property.
(i) The Management Committee shall have the power to settle any dispute or difference between members of the Area Association on matters affecting the Association or its premises.
(ii) The Vice Chair (Club), Club Manager and Bar Manager shall have the agreed power to reprimand, suspend or expel, including any length of ban, from the Registered Club or any affiliated section or organisation, any member who shall infringe any Rule or whose conduct has in their opinion been detrimental to the interests of the CSSC, the Association or its members. The individual and the affiliated club will be notified of the ban in writing.
(iii) Should any appeal be necessary it should be sent in writing to the Chair and Secretary within 7 days of original ban. The appeal will then be heard by the Chair, Vice Chair (Membership), Treasurer and Secretary or a selection of them.
(iv) Any ban imposed will remain in place until the appeal has been heard.
(v) If the member fails to appear before the Committee on the due date and time without good reason for absence, then the Committee will may make a decision without the member’s attendance.
(vi) Members suspended or expelled will have no right to the return of any subscription paid. They may apply for reinstatement at the next Annual General Meeting.
(vii) If the suspended member is a member of the Executive Committee or any other committee of the Association that member is also suspended from that committee.
(viii) A suspended member may not stand for election to or be co-opted to any committee until after the suspension is lifted or time served.
(h) Use of Title & Address
No member shall use the CSSC name or logo, the Association or Registered Club title or address on any circular letter, document of a business character or as a standing address for business purposes, unless on authorised business of the Area Association.
(i) Accounts & Audit
The Administrative and Financial year of the Area Association shall date from the first day of January of each year.
The books and accounts of the Area Association shall be closed on 31 December each year and shall be subject to external scrutiny by a qualified accountant with authority to do so. A copy shall be rendered to the CSSC immediately after adoption.
(j) Rules & Regulations
The Management Committee of the Association may from time to time introduce Rules and/or Regulations for the information and guidance of members provided such Rules and/or Regulations are not in conflict with the Constitution or any part thereof or the policies of the CSSC. A two-thirds majority of committee members attending the meeting called for this purpose shall be necessary to approve any proposal.
(k) Alteration of the Constitution
(i) The Constitution of the Area Association shall not be altered or annulled except by a majority of two-thirds of the members present and voting at a General Meeting and shall be subject to the prior knowledge of the CSSC.
(ii) On any matter not covered by this Constitution the Management Committee shall have the power to make a decision, if necessary in consultation with the CSSC.
(iii) Any question as to the interpretation of this Constitution shall be decided by the Management Committee in consultation with the Executive Committee.
(i) No profits or surpluses will be distributed other than to CSSC or its affiliated bodies.
(ii) In the event of dissolution of the Association, all monies, accounts, assets, fixtures and fittings without exception shall be vested in the CSSC.
(iii) In the event of any section of the Area Association, the Registered Club being such a section, disbanding or being disbanded by either the Section or Executive Committee, then any monies, accounts, stocks, fixtures and fittings, except the private property of the section or an individual, shall be vested in the Area Association.
This Constitution supersedes all previous Constitutions of the CSSC Cheltenham Area Association.
Dated: 17 April 2023